During my May Facebook Live Q&A, I answered questions from parents and students nationwide on topics like course selection, standardized tests, the Common App, and much more!
If you missed this session of Ask America's College Counselor, keep reading for a list of some of the questions I answered and to watch the full video.
SOME QUESTIONS YOU'LL SEE ME ANSWER:
- Is there an awards section on the Common App?
- Would it look bad to have a free period during your senior year?
- Does membership in National Honors Society and subject-specific Honors Society participation matter?
- Will it look bad if my daughter doesn't take another year of a language during her senior year?
- How important are senior year AP scores?
- How will colleges deal with students who aren’t able to take standardized tests (ACT/SAT) because the scheduled test dates keep getting canceled?
- Are summer visits to colleges a good way to show demonstrated interest or is it better to visit during the school year?
- Is one AP science course enough for a non-science major?
- Do transcripts and essays submitted for a college summer program get recorded and referred to during the college admissions process?
- If a school is offering the SAT to all juniors and students choose not to take it, will it hurt them? Or is this fine because so many schools are test optional?
- What suggestions do you have for students—particularly seniors—as they prepare for a 2021-2022 school year that will most definitely be vastly different (and hopefully more normal!) from our current school year?